Tally ERP 9 is an accounting software widely used by many businesses because it includes numerous useful features for easy record maintenance and data analysis. Tally.ERP 9 provides transaction recording, inventory management, and statutory compliance features. Accounting Vouchers are essential for better record keeping and creating a foundation for data analysis.
What is a voucher in Tally?
In Tally, a voucher is a document containing all of the details of a financial transaction and is required to record in the books of accounts. They are simple to create and modify.
Types of Tally vouchers are available in the ‘Gateway of Tally’ under ‘Transactions’.
Tally has a few predefined vouchers that can be viewed by going to Gateway of Tally > Display > List of accounts > Ctrl V [Voucher types].
Voucher types in Tally
Accounting vouchers and inventory vouchers are the two types of vouchers in Tally.
Tally accounting vouchers are further classified as follows:
- Sales Voucher
- Purchase Voucher
- Payment Voucher
- Receipt Voucher
- Contra Voucher
- Journal Voucher
- Credit Note Voucher
- Debit Note Voucher
Tally inventory vouchers are further classified as follows:
- Physical Stock Verification
- Material In and Material Out Voucher
- Delivery Note
- Receipt Note
Tally Accounting Vouchers
1. Sales Voucher
The sales voucher is used in tally to record sales. In tally, it is one of the most commonly used accounting vouchers. Invoice mode and Voucher mode are the two accounting modes in sales vouchers.
2. Purchase Voucher
When you buy a product or service, you make a purchase entry. This is recorded in a tally using the purchase voucher. It is also one of the most commonly used tally vouchers.
3. Payment Voucher
Tally supports every aspect of a payment transaction. You can get all the necessary information, such as the instrument number, bank name, available balance, and so on.
4. Receipt Voucher
When you receive payment, you can enter it into the receipt voucher.
5. Contra Voucher
Contra Voucher is used when either side of the transaction involves cash, a bank, or multiple banks.
6. Journal Voucher
This voucher can be used for a variety of purposes. Some people use it for sales, purchases, and depreciation; any adjustment entry in Tally can also be done with this voucher.
7. Credit Note Voucher
When there is a sales return transaction, a Credit Note entry is made. By default, this voucher remains deactivated. By pressing F11 and configuring features in invoicing, you can activate it.
8. Debit Note Voucher
When a purchase return transaction occurs, a Debit Note entry is generated. By default, this voucher is disabled. You can use F11 to activate it and configure its features.
Tally Inventory Vouchers
1. Physical Stock Verification
This voucher is used to keep track of a company’s inventories. In general, businesses count physical stock verification regularly and keep a record of it using this voucher. This helps to keep inventory under control.
2. Material In and Material Out Voucher
This voucher is widely used in businesses that employ people. It aids in the tracking of inventory sent and received by a worker. For better record keeping, include information such as the item’s name, price, and quantity.
3. Delivery Note
This voucher is used to document the receipt of goods. It is also known as a Delivery Challan.
4. Receipt Note
This voucher is used to track the receipt of goods from vendors. It also has extra features that allow you to enter the vehicle number, dispatch document number, bill of lading, and other information.
E-Mail Configuration in Tally
Tally’s e-mailing capability is being set up. ERP 9 is a one-time installation. ERP 9 is simple and easy to use because the user can select some of the most commonly used e-mail service providers, and various details such as Server Address, Port Number, and Authentication details are pre-filled based on such selection.
Suppose you use an e-mail service provider other than those listed in Tally.ERP 9, you can select User-defined, enter the necessary information, and begin e-mailing reports immediately.
After successfully configuring e-mail in Tally.ERP 9, you can send ledgers, pay slips, definitive statements, confirmation of accounts, reminder letters, and other documents to various parties/customers without using an external e-mail application.
To configure E-Mail in Tally.ERP 9, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Tally Gateway > F12: Configure > E-Mailing.
- Choose the required E-Mail Server from the list of available Common Mail Servers. When choosing a Common Mail Server, the server address and port number are pre-filled in the Server Address field.
- Enter the name of your SMTP server, followed by the port number, in the Server Address field (E.g., smtp.gmail.com:465 or smtp.yahoo.com:455). For more information, contact the service provider or network administrator.
- The option Use SSL is configured automatically based on the E-Mail Server selected. This option communicates over secure networks and sends emails through secure mail servers. E-mail service providers such as Gmail, Hotmail, and Yahoo Mail communicate via a secure network/server.
- The option Use SSL on Standard Port is automatically configured based on the E-Mail Server selected. Some providers communicate over a secure network using the default port (port 25).
- The From field displays the name of the company specified in the Company Creation screen by default.
- The From E-mail Address field displays the e-mail address entered when the company was created. If you haven’t already done so, or if you want to change your email address, enter it here. This will not be added to the company master or saved for future reference.
- If the mail server requires authentication, enter the user name and password in the respective Authentication User Name and Password fields. (For more information, please contact the System Administrator.)
- Choose the required attachment format from the Formats list. The attachment in the format chosen is emailed to the recipient.
- Set the option Show additional details for an e-mail address to Yes to display further information when e-mailing a report and select the e-mail address in the To E-Mail Address or CC To field.
Tally. ERP 9 is now set up to send emails. Click here to check out Tally Prime Course in Ahmedabad.